Turn Off Autotune Altogether?

hakolhavel

Turn Off Autotune Altogether?

Post by hakolhavel »

Hello,

I would like to congratulate the creator of TJ. It is probably the most intelligently designed and feature-rich program of its kind. This program comes closer and closer to perfection as the months pass, and I look forward to what the future will bring. I was wondering if it would be possible to implement completely continuous control over pitch without any software intonation intervention. The reason I purchased the iPad and this program was to be able to continuously control in real time the the pitch of multiple voices, something you simply cannot do even with the most expensive keyboard synthesizers. In "Continuous Glide" mode, the computer still has too much control over pitch for my purposes. I would think this would simply be a matter of allowing the user to choose infinity as the "Time Interval Range," but perhaps I underestimate the complexity of such an addition. I also realize that the "continuous" scale prevents auto-tune, but it is difficult to play accurately without the visual grid guiding my fingers. Please let me know if this is possible.

Thanks

Jesse

So it sounds like you want

Post by Jesse »

So it sounds like you want the continuous scale mode but showing more gridlines? How many would be enough, a full chromatic scale's worth? Or should it let you choose the scale (showing a line for every note in the scale), and have the continuous mode be a separate independent option? I think the latter is what you were thinking about.

Something else to keep in mind, the upcoming new version will support virtual coremidi background support, so that you can actually use other controller apps to play the TJ sounds. The Geosynth app specifically has a great continuous interface that will work very well to play TJ with full independent continuous control in a natural way.

hakolhavel

Thanks for the prompt

Post by hakolhavel »

Thanks for the prompt response.

"Or should it let you choose the scale (showing a line for every note in the scale), and have the continuous mode be a separate independent option? I think the latter is what you were thinking about."

Yes, exactly. I suppose, ideally, one would simply be able to alter the "Time Interval" setting to anything from 0ms to infinity. Based on what I've seen, Geosynth doesn't have an option for the pure X-Y axis surface of Thumbjam or Morphwiz. The ability to control volume of each voice independently is important to me. I secretly hope that in future versions of the iPad, pressure sensitivity will be added, allowing for more intuitive control and extra parameters. I guess I am one of very few users who will have any use for this pure continuous mode (I am essentially trying to use the iPad as a continuous pitch alternative to composing at a keyboard), but I think it would make the package more complete overall.

And now that I've thought of it, one small, ridiculous request: instead of pitch and interval names for a chromatic scale, would it be possible to use integers assigned to each of the pitch classes, where the user decides what pitch 1 is? For example, if pitch 1 was C, pitch 2 would be C#, 3 D, etc.