Design improvements

Jonnycube

While I absolutely do not

Post by Jonnycube »

While I absolutely do not agree with the tone of the original poster, I will say that an improved design would be welcome.

Improved aesthetics would be nice, but the most important thing is the interface. I find it confusing and cumbersome. I feel like I have to tap around a lot to get what I want. I'm using an iPad, and that might have something to do with it. The menu buttons are spread out as far apart as possible.

At the risk of sounding like a whiny bum I could say more, but I'll just say it'd be nice if it were easier to use and more visually appealing. But it's a freakin' awesome program anyway.

Jesse

I'll agree with you in

Post by Jesse »

I'll agree with you in regards to the iPad interface, which was a short effort port from the iphone interface just to get it out there. The corners are quite far apart and I recognize that isn't ideal. I'm considering different interface redesigns for the iPad version, and I welcome suggestions.

Steve_0

This is a pretty old thread,

Post by Steve_0 »

This is a pretty old thread, but I'd like to add my $0.02.

First, TJ is a great app, and I appreciate the focus on the sound and function of the app above all else. This is what's most important, no question. That said, the design does have it's issues. For reference I'm talking about the iPhone app, I reckon with the iPad's screen real estate that a different design would be more beneficial to the platform.

I think it'd be great if you were to put some effort in following Apple's design guidelines for the iPhone. Yes, as a music app the interface does need to be different, but Apple has those HUI guidelines for a reason - they mostly make sense to the user. When it comes to touchscreens UI design is still relatively adolescent, and so common UI theme's add a lot to usability. As an example, those corner buttons can be frustrating at times. I realise that their placement is designed not to obstruct your playing, but still I can't tell you how many times I've tried and failed to hit them. The "Key controls" area is another UI that I reckon needs be overhauled. It's just difficult to use, and it shouldn't be. While I understand why you didn't simply use one of Apple's common UI for selecting instruments and scales ala iPod app (to keep the keys playable while testing, I assume was a big part of that), it does seem out of place. But it works, so I can't really complain. What I think you could change is the settings screens, including preferences, editing instrument controls and samples, etc. There's no reason not to go with an Apple designed UI here.

The look of the app is more subjective, and on the whole I like it (considering the main playing area here). It might help to think about some more visuals, but that certainly shouldn't be a priority. Maybe redesigning the buttons alone would provide a big difference.

I'm not saying the design sucks, because it doesn't. It's great where it counts - playing an instrument. Everywhere else however, usability is slightly hampered by some design choices. Remember, User interface design is not just what it looks like; design is how it works.

Just some constructive criticism there Jesse, I hope it helps.