First off... JESSE --> THIS APP IS AWESOME

Buri Studios

First off... JESSE --> THIS APP IS AWESOME

Post by Buri Studios »

I have literally EVERY other music app worth anything on my itouch (legally - I paid for every cent of each one of them). This is BY FAR the most amazing application I've seen for the touch. I plan on making so many songs out of this.

There are only 2 things that I would make a request on. These are not major problems nor oversights in the program and yes, they would take a good deal of time and programming but they would also make this program the very best music application on the App Store BY a CLEAR MILE!

ONE:
I'm a bit of a perfectionist. Thumbjam is designed for those that love making music on the go. I love this about it, and yet occasionally I'll make a mistake and want to fix it. The only problem is, I just recorded 2 full minutes of a cello performing and now I have to start over. I've lost the flow of my music now which means the next song I make is entirely new. While it's a big plus, in this case it's also a tad disappointing. I put a little bit of me into every song I make and I feel like it gets wasted. A step sequencer would make this app beyond unbelievable. I would be utterly astounded with it's abilities.

TWO:
Less important BUT if you could manage to record voice from a mike and do reverb/echo effects on it to add it in the song, that would be awesome! I have apps that do it already but for those that don't it could seal the deal!

Thanks for your time dev and I hope you continue producing amazing stuff. This app is an AMAZING AMAZING tool for me to play my new 30 instruments on and I couldn't have dreamed up anything better. Job well done!

Jesse

Thanks, glad you're enjoying

Post by Jesse »

Thanks, glad you're enjoying it!

As for #1, yes making it a sequencer would be a pretty big task. It isn't out of the question but it will be a fair ways off. In the meantime enjoy the zen-like organic music making experience TJ gives you ;)

And for #2, I actually had the mic-input loop recording feature for a long time in the pre-release development version. Unfortunately after iPhone OS v3.x came out, it appeared to cause some serious audio glitching when running in that mode, so I had to pull the feature for release. I hope that I can resolve it in the future and reintroduce it.

soundog

Yeah, the audio in/out on the

Post by soundog »

Yeah, the audio in/out on the iPhone/iPod needs work on Apple's part. If you are able to get that working, I would love a mode where I could pass through the audio (mic in) through the effects (apply reverb and delay), and pass the wet results out the audio out. This would be real-time, live .... not record and play. Just a want, not a must.

Buri Studios

That's a shame that apple

Post by Buri Studios »

That's a shame that apple messed up that feature with the new OS but even without it your application is still the best there is! Certainly the best quality samples!

I really wish I knew how to program beyond the basics so I could offer to help you out with developing this further! I'd do it for free if I knew how. Your already selling it for so much less then it's worth that it's mind boggling it's not on the top charts yet!

Jesse

I'm not saying it's totally

Post by Jesse »

I'm not saying it's totally Apples fault, but they definitely changed something behind the scenes.

Pricing is such a slippery slope on the App Store. What price do you think would be realistic for TJ?

Buri Studios

Honestly with the quality of

Post by Buri Studios »

Honestly with the quality of this program I would say charging 10 to 15 dollars would be realistic. With all the scales and high quality samples I would have easily paid that much knowing how high quality it is. Perhaps waiting until it becomes viral and everybody knows about its quality before upping the price might be a wise decision but knowing what I know now 6 dollars for such an amazing app is a bargain if I've ever seen one!

Buri Studios

To put it one way, buy

Post by Buri Studios »

To put it one way, buy Dopplerpad like I did yesterday for 10 bucks. They charge 10 dollars for this program that makes you sound amateur at best and downright horrible if you don't know how to use it. It's ui is unfriendly too. I pick up your applicaton for 6 bucks and literally 10 minutes later I'm a pro violin, cello, and electric guitar player.

The ONLY reason I bought dopplerpad was becuase it had audiopaste and I wanted to use it in conjunction with fourtrack. If you include that as you were saying on a different post this program will be awesome. If you add in one touch chords then musicians all over the world will hate you. This program is already rediculous, with the features you plan to implement will make it insane. Thanks again for making this app bro.

significantimagery

Since buying this app a few

Post by significantimagery »

Since buying this app a few days ago I have been showing it off to everyone I know.

Along with that I always say "..and it only cost $6!"

I agree $10-$15 at least seems a fair range to sell it for...not an expert though so I don't know how the change would effect sales.

Even so, at $10 I would still feel it was an incredible bargain. I would be saying: "..and it only cost $10!"

I think everyone who has paid $6 would have gladly paid $10 if that was the price...as long as they know what it is and how it sounds before hand...which I did thanks to your demo videos.

It really is just a phenomenal app. This is actually the only iPod app I have purchased. (only had it a week, but still...this was the only app I found that made me immediately think - I need to buy this app.)

Any plans on making a free version to promote the full one? Perhaps it could just limit the features to something like: just a few instruments, a couple scales, limit number of loops, no save feature, etc.

Jesse

There are plans to make a

Post by Jesse »

There are plans to make a lite version eventually, but I might charge $1 for it because really, even with the limiting features it would still be a little too good to be free.

What I really want is for Apple to come up with an officially sanctioned way to do time-limited full version trials. That would really help an app like this, it would be a free download and work fully for a week or two, then you'd have to buy it to keep using it. *That* would really maximize everyone's happiness, and solve the dilemma I have for charging a higher full-price for it.

Either way, once the feature set of TJ grows to a certain point I probably will raise the price to at least $10.

That's not to mention the possibility of doing in-app purchasing for new downloadable instrument packs.

soundog

Limited-time demos on the

Post by soundog »

Limited-time demos on the Apple store would be great. One caveat, though, is in regards to reviews. I have noticed that some more complex music apps, when offered for free or lite, get a lot of bad reviews (dragging down the rating) simply because the users are novices and don't understand how to use them. Often, higher priced apps are only purchased by more serious users willing to take the time to learn the app and maximize their investment. So there is a trade off, sometimes. Perhaps free limited-time demos would not permit reviews....