Scala file import option via iOS UIActivityViewController

MarcusSatellite

Scala file import option via iOS UIActivityViewController

Post by MarcusSatellite »

My goal is to pass a Scala file created by my app Wilsonic to Thumbjam as efficiently as possible, with as few user-initiated steps as possible.

For iOS devices 9.x+: When Wilsonic creates a NSURL to a sandboxed Scala file, and passes that to UIActivityViewController: Thumbjam does not show up as an option.

When I take the same NSURL and use MFMailComposeViewController to attach the data as type "application/wilsonic" with a .scl suffix: Mail's presentation of UIActivityController includes Thumbjam. Which is very efficient except for the step of having to email Scala files to oneself.

There is something that iOS Mail client is doing that understands that this Scala file can be opened by Thumbjam, that my app is not doing.

What can my iOS app do to share files that Thumbjam will always recognize as Scala files?

MarcusSatellite

Re: Scala file import option via iOS UIActivityViewControlle

Post by MarcusSatellite »

Most of the work of this issue has been happening on:
http://forum.thumbjam.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1036

ajun

Re: Scala file import option via iOS UIActivityViewController

Post by ajun »

Wondering if there's any chance of incorporating Audiokit's TuneUp protocol? https://audiokitpro.com/tuneup/
It would be amazing to be able to quickly design tunings in Wilsonic and have them immediately in ThumbJam!

Barring that, any way to streamline Scala import? It's still the case that you have to email yourself a scale. Perhaps if both apps added Files support?

Thank you!

Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Interesting, I'll check out TuneUp. In the meantime, you should be able to "Open In" the scala files in TJ from anywhere, not just emails.... from the Files app for instance.

ajun

Post by ajun »

Jesse wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:29 pm
Interesting, I'll check out TuneUp. In the meantime, you should be able to "Open In" the scala files in TJ from anywhere, not just emails.... from the Files app for instance.
Right, it seems the issue is with Wilsonic - it needs to be updated to work with Files directly. Currently it only allows emailing or texting as methods of distribution.

For the longest time I had to email the .scl to myself. Fine when home and on the network; not so great when traveling. However, after a bit more mucking about, I've found that I can get the files without emailing - but it only works on the iPad, not the iPhone.

The issue here is that from the email draft preview pane you can share the Scala file:
IMG_1162.PNG
IMG_1162.PNG (1007.31 KiB) Viewed 19000 times
...but from the email draft edit window, you cannot:
IMG_1163.PNG
IMG_1163.PNG (1.04 MiB) Viewed 19000 times
The iPhone doesn't have the draft preview pane, so the only recourse is actually sending the email.

I realize all of this isn't your problem, but if you were inclined to add TuneUp functionality it would make all of this significantly less of a hassle!

One ThumbJam issue:
When Scala files are imported there doesn't seem to be a way to delete them from ThumbJam - it only seems to be possible to delete scales created in ThumbJam.

Using the WiFi browser can get rid of these files, but that obviously requires a network and second device. Also, when the files are deleted, ThumbJam doesn't update right away and needs to be restarted to stop listing the old files.